I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. ~Philippians 1:20-21

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fresh Artistry

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
~Isaiah 43:19

There is something about the new year that gives me butterflies! Am I alone in this? It's like there is this fresh new canvas and newly bought paints and at this moment anything is possible. It amazes me that in reality, our God says that each day is a new canvas that has been washed clean by His blood. Each day we can submit ourselves to be washed clean by the One who knows how we got each bruise and gash and scar. I am humbled and amazed that the King of Kings would deign to get on his hands and knees and wash the dirt that has been caked on our lives. What's more, he doesn't just wash the dirt that others have thrown at us or bind only the wounds that have been caused by those around us, he just as willingly and just as gently washes each gash that is there because of our own doing. Maybe it was caused by bad judgment, maybe we intentionally walked down a path we knew would have thorns but chose to go anyway...whatever the reason for our wounds, our God looks into our souls with those gentle eyes and scrubs us clean, binds us up, and makes us whole. How could we not want to give Him our whole lives?

This January I have been thinking about what I want the new year to look like. For starters, I love this Isaiah 43 verse...in fact all of Isaiah 43 stirs up something in my heart that says, "Yes! Bring it on!" There is something so powerful and empowering about these truths that God speaks, "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing...I am making a way in the wilderness." God wants us to accept His gift of a fresh canvas and new paints. He wants us to join him in the epic adventure of seeking him and living life with him. It is not forced on us, we could go our own way and continue to wander around in the desert. We could seek fulfilment in whatever we think might bring life...but we will not find it. We could stay locked in our closets of bitterness and anger, refusing to believe that anything good could be made of our circumstances. And if we do, we will continue to believe that and continue to wither. Or, we could step into trust and believe that there is newness and there is life and there is purpose beyond what we can see. That is my choice this new year. And by choosing that, by choosing Jesus, I have shed the weight of all the extra baggage that built up over the last year. Let God find a home for all that...maybe there is a dumpsite on the outskirts of heaven that he deposits the junk we are ready to let go. So go ahead God, take it all away so that I have the energy to laugh and love and live for you. I am ready for you to start a colorful creation on the fresh canvas of my life. Just make sure when you have completed it God, to sign it with your name.




No comments:

Post a Comment